It’s amazing what a day off can get you into..
I had a day off the other day and I thought I’d take a closer look at a medium/chuhin sized Itoigawa Shimpaku/juniper that Oyakata had bought a while back at an auction. Oyakata had taken it with him to a customers house to try to sell but, came back with the tree so, I assumed that the customer didn’t buy it (I should remember that assumption is the mother of all **** up’s).
Oyakata came in as I was admiring the tree and I explained I was just having a closer look and expressed that I liked it. He then told me that it was a customers tree (that solved that). There was a little inside dieback and I was just cleaning it out a little, He then told me to clean it up tomorrow, cut back, remove the dieback and inner weak growth.
I was pleased I thought it would be fun to work on.
Here was the tree before setting to work.
I was just about finishing up when Oyakata breaks the news to me that the customer wants to put this tree in a local show called Meifu-ten. I then asked “will the tree need wiring before the exhibition?”. He looked at the tree and then went off for a short time. Then came back and told me to wire it when I’d finished. It wasn’t exactly what I had in mind but, it was nice that Oyakata set me the task.
Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo after I did my work (though I could have sworn that I did) I only have pictures of the finished tree after Oyakata’s corrections.
I’ll try to explain the corrections that Oyakata made, though they were small. The main one was that some of the branches weren’t spread enough. The reason I did this was to make the tree look fuller, although it wasn’t needed.
A small branch was removed but, apart from that it was fine.
It will still need some prepping before but, I look forward to seeing it at the exhibition and I hope that the customer is pleased.
Thanks for reading.